Using Quickbooks Online (QBO) and AMEX with Expensify - Prevent Duplicate Transactions

Options
TBC
TBC Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Integrations and API

Hi all,

I have just started with Expensify and want to use the integrations feature to download transactions to my QBO account. I have a bookkeeper for my business and want her to be able to most easily manage the info coming in. Currently, my AMEX cards are set to download to my QBO automatically and I wanted to get the opinion of some folks on how I can best leverage both systems efficiently. It seems a bit messy with both being integrated into QBO simultaneously and so my thought is to remove the AMEX account from my QBO and just use the Expensify integration and download transactions. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓
    Options

You definitely have the option to turn off your Amex feed into QuickBooks Online. You can use the Expensify company card reconciliation dashboard to reconcile your expenses. Having both feeds does give you an extra level of reconciliation though, so if you do want to keep this, here is the best practice.

As long as you export your reports from Expensify before adding your transactions from the QBO feed, you will prevent duplicates. Instead, you'll go to your banking dashboard in QBO and be able to match the transactions for reconciliation.

Answers

• Zil
    Zil Expensify Customer Posts: 18 Expensify Admirer
    Options

Hello!

I can speak extensively to this. It's something I've been learning the hard way and hope to pass along. I would recommend turning off auto export from Expensify to QBO to prevent duplicate imports. Then I would turn off the Import from Amex to QBO. You can keep it going but you will need to match Expensify imports with Amex Imports which will add significantly more time to the process. The only reason to do that way would be if you were very worried about the quality of the reviewer in Expensify.

Once the import from Amex to QBO is reviewed export to QBO. If you ever have multiple companies with the same account manager on Amex be wary of using Expensify for both. Otherwise, this method works great. We often have half a million of Amex transactions per month reviewed and imported this way with few problems.

• LCollins
    LCollins Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

I am also setting up my QBO and Expensify integration with AMEX syncing as well. Can anyone advise on how they are importing from Expensify? I am debating on using Vendor bills to then reconcile with AMEX imports or if I should do the Credit Card. My concern is that vendor bills will mess with cash flow projections being I am not seeing the ability to specify a due date. I am hoping to avoid figuring it out the hard way. Thank you for any advice!

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @LCollins, thanks for posting! We would recommend exporting your non-reimbursable Amex expenses as a Credit Card. The ideal workflow will be:

1. Employees submit reports with non-reimbursable expenses,
    2. The reports will flow through the Approval Workflow and end up Final Approved,
    3. Export the reports to QBO,
    4. Accept the charges from the Amex connection in QBO,
    5. Merge the exported charges from Expensify with the imported Amex charges.

We have a walkthrough of this in our Help Center here, but let us know if you run into any other questions!

• LCollins
    LCollins Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

What kind of transaction does it create? An expense?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @LCollins, it creates a bank transaction in the credit card account which is selected in the Export settings on your Configuration.

Unless you have the cards mapped to a specific account via Domain Control. This is done under Settings > Domain Control > [Domain Name] > Company Cards by clicking the cog next to the user.