How to stop Expensify from automatically adding all personal credit card transactions to a report

bculver91
bculver91 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

99% of my credit card transactions are for personal use. But all of them automatically add to a new report. I have it set so it defaults to non-reimburseable. But frankly I don't need my company seeing all of my personal expenses on each report. And the only way I can stop that is by manually deleting all the transactions from the report, which is laborious. It seems like there is probably a way to turn off the auto-add function. Please advise!

Answers

• tylerzoll
    tylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 430 Expensify Champion

@bculver91, a solution might be for you to create a new report, then add the business expenses to that report and submit it. The personal expenses can remain on the old report and you can just mark it as closed and not submit the report with personal expenses. Your company won't be able to see the personal expenses unless you give someone co-pilot access.

• asisit
    asisit Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Really that is the only options? ^ That is a perty poor workaround for the annoying emails I get and all the extra work it creates for the expense report I have to submit every other month or so. This used to just not happen and I would get to pick which expenses I add or don't add. Now I have to sort through what is for work and remove from the report and then add to another report rather than just go through recent transactions.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @bculver91 and @asisit, welcome to the Community! I'd love to explain. To start, let's talk about how Scheduled Submit works with personal card expenses in general, and then why it's working as you're experiencing it.

Typically, when you have a personal card connected and Scheduled Submit enabled the only expenses that are added to a report are ones you upload a matching receipt for. This means that you're uploading receipts for the expenses you need to report for your company and SmartScan is processing them and merging them with the imported card expense. This way you tell us which personal card expenses added to the Scheduled Submit report by uploading a receipt for them.

However, there is one other reason why personal card expenses are added to a report automatically and that reason is the one that is most important right now. If you have your personal card set to import non-reimbursable expenses, we will add all imported expenses from the card to the Scheduled Submit report. This is why you have to do double duty @bculver91 and remove expenses from a report.

I hope this clears things up a bit, but if you have questions just let me know!

• Brich882
    Brich882 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @""Sheena Trepanier" , this helps me as well, but I need additional information please. I am new to Expensify, so this may become clear as I use it more.

I have connected a personal credit card. How does Expensify know which charges are reimbursable. It seems to pick charges automatically (it has been 100% correct so far) and submit the report, as well. Is that my administrator just looking through my charges and picking the ones he is reasonably assured are business related and submitting on his timetable? I was told that Expensify will automatically submit when charges have reached a certain time in queue limit.

Thank you!

• Brich882
    Brich882 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Part 2 of my comment/question to @Sheena Trepanier as you stated "when you have a personal card connected and Scheduled Submit enabled the only expenses that are added to a report are ones you upload a matching receipt for. This means that you're uploading receipts for the expenses you need to report for your company and SmartScan is processing them and merging them with the imported card expense. This way you tell us which personal card expenses added to the Scheduled Submit report by uploading a receipt for them."

I have only added receipts to Expensify/Smart Scan, so this woudl make sense in my case. My other question is, can my company administrator see all my personal charges or just the ones I have done Smart Scan and others that go through my company's travel agent (flights, rental cars, etc.) Those seem to have uploaded automatically.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @Brich882, thanks for replying and my apologies for the delay responding.

When a personal card is connected, a setting on the card will control if the expenses import as reimbursable or non-reimbursable expenses. To find this setting, navigate to your Settings > Your Account > Credit Card Import tab, and click the "Settings" button located on your imported card. (below)

Regarding expenses submitting on their own, it sounds like you're referring to Scheduled Submit. This feature can be set up at the policy level to control all employees or at the personal level if the company has it disabled. Based on the frequency you have selected, you should expect expenses without violations to be submitted according to the frequency selected.

Your last question was focused on what your admins can see and when. The rule of them is this; if you've added expenses to a report that is on the company policy than any admin can see the expenses on the report. If you have expenses that are Unreported or added to a report on your personal policy, then only you have visibility to see them.

• KPeak
    KPeak Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @Sheena Trepanier Regarding your post in Sept 2018, did you mean that the personal card expenses will be added automatically to the report if they're set to REIMBURSABLE? Why would they be automatically added if they're set as NON-reimbursable? We've set ours as automatically non-reimbursable and we want them to be added to the report by Scheduled Submit ONLY If we upload a matching receipt.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @kpeak Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Great question! It's because if you add a non-reimbursable card to your personal settings it's likely to be a 'work' credit card, so all of the expenses need to be reported.

E.g. a sole trader whose personal card is the business credit card or a small business who does not use centrally-managed cards via Domain Control.

Let me know if I can help with anything further!

• KPeak
    KPeak Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

Hi @RachCHopkins thank you for your reply! I see! I had it backwards. So we upload our personal card but don't use it exclusively for business so I only want expenses added to my schedule submit if A) I upload a matching receipt or B) I add them to the report myself. If I changed the credit card default to Reimbursable, will I achieve the above?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @KPeak that's right - if you change a personal card to Reimbursable, the personal expenses will be added to your report via Scheduled Submit no matter when they merge with a receipt or if you add them manually.