We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Help Setting up Expensify

dustydusty Posts: 1Expensify Customer

I would like to use Expensify to collect receipts for my business and import them into quickbooks online.

My ultimate goal is to
make a purchase and take a photo of the receipt
select the correct category (synced with quickbooks categories)
have expensify automatically export my reciepts into quickbooks (would be nice to sync immediately but daily batches would work as well)
go into quickbooks and match my receipts to my credit card, bank etc...

It seems I am 90% of the way there but am running into some issues
I take a photo of the invoices and then it batches them until I approve the report (and have to email it to my self in the process)
I then have to manually export to quickbooks (however I think that if I left it it would automatically sync my closed reports, just haven't tried it yet)
When the import into quickbooks the vendor is always listed as credit card misc. instead of the correct vendor (in the expensify report it has the correct vendor listed, but then moves that vendor into the comments section in quick books...) This makes it time consuming as every single reciept has the same vendor (credit card misc)

Is there a couple easy settings I am missing or does expensify have these limitations? Is there a better app to be using if I essentially just want an automatic reciept scanner?

Answers

• IsabelaStisserIsabelaStisser Posts: 230Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hey @dusty, thanks for posting to the Community!

You can take advantage of the Auto Sync feature that we provide in QuickBooks Online, take a look at this help article for more information on this.

Regarding the issues you're experiencing with your vendors being listed as credit card misc, please not that if you want the payee field for Credit Card expenses in QuickBooks Online to show the merchant name, a matching Vendor must exist in QuickBooks Online. Expensify looks for an exact match when exporting and if it can't find a match, the payee gets mapped to a Credit Card Misc. vendor that we create. More information can be found here.

Hope this helps! :)

• Vanessa RintalaVanessa Rintala Posts: 42Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hey Dusty! First off, you should be able to accomplish all of this with Expensify!

When you make a purchase, you can SmartScan your receipt image, and that will be automatically added to your Expensify account. You will need to categorize any expenses, and add Tags, etc. as needed, and if you have our Scheduled Submit feature and Auto Sync feature enabled, we will go ahead and add the expenses to a report, submit the report, and export to QuickBooks for you!

You can find information here on how to set up your QuickBooks configuration so that your reports are properly mapped. Definitely let us know if you have any issues getting this set up and working the way you need it to be!