How do I stop auto report assignment.

Onthefly71
Onthefly71 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I cannot figure out how to stop expensify/concierge from automatically assigning a reciept that I scan into a particular report. The auto report choice is never and I mean never correct, and I have to go back in one by one and correct the reports they get grouped in. Sometimes they get lost in reports from a year ago that are not remotely relevant. The absolute worst was when somehow concierge auto submission got turned on, and reports that were not done one day just were submitted randomly. Quite the ghost in the machine. Otherwise I do love expensify.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @jg73, I'm just cross posting the below information from your other thread. This will be helpful information for customers who have disabled Scheduled Submit in both policy and personal but are still seeing expenses added to reports automatically.

If your mobile app has the report field sticky on "(automatic)", the next time you take a photo of a receipt follow the steps below to clear it out.

Take a photo of a receipt with the mobile app,
    1. Click "Add details" from the bottom bar after taking the photo,
    2. Click "More options",
    3. In the Report field dropdown, select "(none)",
    4. Save the expense.

This clears the sticky automatic reporting that happens when Scheduled Submit is enabled. If Scheduled Submit is ever enabled in the future, you'll need to follow these steps again to clear it once more.

Answers

• Onthefly71
  • PDepuhl
    PDepuhl Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Buried treasure. Thanks for pointing this out. I had the same issue, where Concierge would randomly pick incorrect reports (sometimes closed ones from last year) and burry expenses in them for me to go hunt for. No fun.

I just turned them off and am hoping this works from here on out…

• PDepuhl
    PDepuhl Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I have BOTH of these turned off, nevertheless Expensify still randomly assigns expenses to expense reports. Sometimes. Not always, and never to the last report I've opened.

• Conor Pendergrast
    Conor Pendergrast Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 175 Expensify Team

Hey @PDepuhl Concierge will only add receipts to Open reports. Do you submit or close your reports once you're finished with them? That's the expected behaviour here.

Thanks!

• gregkeene
    gregkeene Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I have the same problem. I do not have schedule submit turned on and it assigns them to a report. But what's worse is that with your 2018 update now I can't move (or can't figure out how) an expense from one report to another (at least not consistently). This is a huge issue because the exporting of a report is what defines which chart of account it's assigned to. So managed card expenses can't be with cash, etc. Please help.

• Xof
    Xof Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 2018

This is now happening to me, and it is pretty much breaking Expensify for me. When I drag a new receipt to the Expensify window, it either creates a new report and assigns the expense to it, or assigns it (at random, as far as I can tell) to an open report if there are any.

Neither of these is what I want. What I want is for it to be left unassigned so I can assign it later to a report of my choosing.

"Scheduled Submit" is turned off in both places.

This is new behavior; it was working properly as recently as two weeks ago.

• drhaaz
    drhaaz Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Admirer

Same thing happened here. It's enough of a nuisance I have to make sure our staff doesn't accidentally sign up for auto submit on their accounts. Now it's doing it on everyone's accounts regardless

• n8barber
    n8barber Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I'm having this same issue. Scheduled submit is turned off EVERYWHERE. Still, new expenses are added to open expense reports. I have several open at a time, by necessity. I just want unassigned, new expenses to REMAIN UNASSIGNED and UNREPORTED so I can add them to the correct reports. Why is this so hard?

• Mwal
    Mwal Approved! Accountant Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I've just come across this exact same problem and I also do not have auto-scheduler on. Sure, perhaps it only put's them in open reports, however, it is virtually never the correct report, almost as though it's choosing the report at random.

I agree with another comment here that this renders Expensify useless. I have to search for everything that I either photograph, scan, or forward, which alone takes hours. I'm also relying on Smart Scan to get everything completely accurate to find it with this search, so any minor error means that I'll never find it and it's stuck in an incorrect report which will be filed with errors down the road.

I hope this is just a glitch with a new update and will be fixed ASAP as I've advised everyone to stop adding new expenses effective immediately.

• DannyD
    DannyD Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 2018

Same: Scheduled submit is off but expenses still being auto-added to new reports. Please fix!

• KevinL
    KevinL Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi Conor. When you mention expected behavior is to submit reports when an expense is added, it doesn’t match our company’s behavior. Our employees have several reports open during the month and submit them all at the beginning of the next month. My question is why do employees get the auto submit preference turned on even if I’ve turned it off for the entire domain? Do I have to tell each new user to go into preferences to turn it off when they open an Expensify account?

• mmain19
    mmain19 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Same issue here. I have Scheduled Submit turned off (I mean, who doesn't want to review their report before it gets blindly sent in??) and when I upload a receipt it is auto assigned to the worst possible report. I have to Private Eye it and figured out which receipts are now in the wrong report and move them. It makes so much more sense for it to not be assigned to any report. Then I filter by "unreported", check all that apply and move them to the correct report.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited December 2018

Hi @mmain19 Welcome to the Expensify Community! This is because Scheduled Submit is turned on on your default Policy.

You can either change your Default Policy to be '(none)' or you can speak to your Policy Admin about this setting. :)

• L_Z
    L_Z Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

This is by far the most infuriating part of Expensify.
    1. It was turned on without warning and finding what was happening was difficult
    2. The solution is buried with menus and sub-menus
    3. I turned off as instructed and it is still happening
    4. I lose a ridiculous amount of time manually finding where the "auto-classified" receipts are

Maybe this is useful to someone but PLEASE add a button to turn this off!!!!

• Onthefly71

Yes please add a quick remove button for that feature it’s awful!

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited December 2018

Hi @Onthefly71 and @L_Z , if you don't have Scheduled Submit turned on in your Personal settings, this means it's controlled by your Policy Admin and you will need to discuss this with them as Scheduled Submit is generally in place for a reason.

But if you are the Policy Admin, it's just an on/off toggle found in Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Reports. Can't get much quicker than that!

The fastest way for a user to see what reports their expenses are on is simply by going to the Expenses page. If an extra report was created by Scheduled Submit, you can simply delete it to return the expenses to Unreported and pop them on a different report.

@L_Z can you give an example of a couple of expenses which have been added to a report automatically since you disabled Scheduled Submit? I'd like to take a closer look.

• L_Z

I am the admin
    The admin -> Policy -> Report -> Scheduled Submit is toggled OFF
    I scanned a couple of receipts today (Jun 4, 2018). Right now, they are being smart-scanned but I can see that they have already been auto-submitted to my report AMQ018-05 (the wrong report)
    (If you need a link, an url or some identifier, just let me know how to produce it)

BTW, if expenses were filed exclusively under "new reports", I suppose I could just go to any "new report" and re-classify them. The problem is that they are usually filed under an existing report. SO I need to open EVERY SINGLE report and check EACH and EVERY expense if they were auto-classified expenses.
    1 - That takes a LOT of time
    2 - If I miss even 1 receipt, I can either not get reimbursed for an expense (OR invoice the wrong client)

• Rachael Hopkins
    edited June 2018

Thanks @L_Z, I have checked the report and it's definitely not doing any automated reporting.

However, I suspect what might be happening is a sticky report name field - did you use the mobile app? The Report name field is 'sticky' on the app, meaning that it remembers the last report you added an expense to via the app (in order to save time).

My guess is some time in past you selected the report while smartscanning, and that report still exists and so it's still using that setting.

Next time you add an expense tap 'Add Details/More' and set it to 'None'. This should break the cycle.

It seems that your entire headache here is being caused by this auto-adding, so we need to track it down and nip it in the bud asap. Please let me know if this solution helps!

• L_Z

How do I do that? When I take a picture on the app and it starts scanning, the report is already there. If I press it down, the only option is to delete. If I click, it takes me to the expense. I can change the report (it stops the scan) but the next time I take a picture, it is still automatically putting it on a report.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @l_z thanks for that information. Can you please log out and in on the mobile app before you take a photo of your next receipt?

If this doesn't clear the report applied when a photo is taken, please let me know!

• Martleby
    Martleby Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Been looking for this answer for a long time - I'd almost go so far as to say that Concierge by default should not be set to auto-submit, but perhaps it can be something that is manually enabled by the user during app and/or account setup.

• Rachael Hopkins

Hi @Martleby Welcome to the Expensify Community! You are correct - the inbox task which says 'how often would you like to submit your receipts' is setting Scheduled Submit. :)

• jg73
    jg73 Expensify Customer Posts: 6

I am still chasing my tail on this topic. An FAQ on all of this would be nice. There seems to be at least 4 different components, on three platforms, to making sure that receipts don't get automatically added to open reports. A global selection that makes sense would be really helpful: Reports, Settings, Automatically add receipts to open reports (on/off) If off, the sticky in the app would also be default to off.

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team

Hi @jg73 I just replied to you on your other post but in case you need it here is what I commented:

I took a look at your account and Scheduled Submit is still enabled on both your group and individual policies. You will need to disable it in both locations to prevent expenses from being assigned to report. Let me know if you have any questions!

• jg73
    jg73 Expensify Customer Posts: 6

Thanks. See above comment of the FAQ. There are about four steps to getting this right. I will report if this worked.

• Tanata_Productions
    Tanata_Productions Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I have gone through this thread and turned off everything and modified the mobile app. A new receipt expense is still being assigned to an open report. I DO NOT want my receipts to be auto-assigned to anything. Please Advise and thank you!

• Rachael Hopkins

Hi @Tanata_Productions Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Looks like Scheduled Submit is still enabled on your Individual aka Personal Policy. Just go to Settings > Policies > Individual > Personal > Reports to disable it.

Let me know if I can help with anything further!

• TMF5012
    TMF5012 Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

Hi,

I am the Admin and there is no option to select (none).

All the policies show under the icon (dropdown) and group policy.

How do I un-select this?

Thanks.