employees creating rules which don't match with quickbooks transactions

Samantha
Samantha Expensify Customer Posts: 4

Hi there,
Having problems with the Rules on Expensify. As far as I know an employee can only create a rule based off the changes they are making to a transaction in their expense report (as a manager I can't do this for them when editing an expense). The problem is in order for the expense to match to the expense in Quickbooks online when its transferred across, the vendor name has to appear exactly the same as how it appears in quickbooks. My question is how is an employee meant to know exactly how the vendor is setup/written in quickbooks when creating this rule? They don't have access to this information and I know that even a slight difference like a capital letter in how they name the Vendor could then cause a duplicate expense in Quickbooks instead of matching it to the correct expense?

Any advice would greatly appreciated as this problem is going to prove to be very time consuming.

Thanks!
Samantha

Best Answers

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @Samantha! Because expense rules are our only work around for matching vendors, we generally recommend that you create a list of rules that need to be created and send an email out to your employees to create these. They don't have to be editing an expense to do this. If they log onto the website and go to Settings > Account > Expense Rules, they can create the rules manually.

The way I usually format this email is; I start with an example:

Create Rule > If merchant contains: Amazon, then change Merchant Name to Amazon > Save

I follow this up with a list of vendors you want your employees to create rules for.

I really hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome. I'll make sure to let you know once we do have a solution for this. Let me know if you have any questions!

Answers