Expenses Duplicating When Entered in Mobile App

JYork
JYork Approved! Accountant Posts: 8

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. My client is experiencing expenses duplicating when they are entered into Expensify via the mobile app. My client takes a picture of the expense, then opens Expensify, taps the "Plus" symbol in the top right corner of the app, selects Scan Receipt, selects the Photos icon on the bottom left, and selects the photo of the receipt he is trying to upload. He then fills in the appropriate information and saves the entry. After this entry, the expense will be duplicated, sometimes triplicated. The expense will be listed as a Personal and Corporate card expense, with sometimes the Personal expense being duplicated and the Corporate card expense being the triplicate entry. The Corporate card expense is never duplicated.

Please note - there was a duplication of the Corporate card at some point when the card was imported, and so my client has a Personal card and Corporate card of the same card (it's an Amex corporate card). I know what needs to be done to delete the Personal card, but I'd like to understand why his expenses are duplicating in the first place. Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

@JYork -- welcome, I'm happy to help with this. It sounds like your client is doing double duty and causing the duplicates at the same time.

The ideal workflow would be:

1. Open the app,
    2. Snap a photo of the receipt,
    3. Let SmartScan populate the merchant, date and amount
    4. Done!

Later, when the matching credit card transaction imports into Expensify, it will be automatically merged with the uploaded receipt. The key to the automatic merge happening and avoiding duplicates is to use SmartScan and do not edit the merchant, date or amount that SmartScan populates.

Is there any reason why your client is not using SmartScan now?

• JYork
    JYork Approved! Accountant Posts: 8

Hi Sheena,

Thanks so much for responding to my post! My client takes a picture of his receipts to keep a copy for himself. Is there a way for him to save a copy of the receipt for his records after he SmartScans the receipt.

Also, with SmartScanning will it automatically choose the corporate card? Is there a way to choose the correct card or does that cause duplication as well?

Thanks again!

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @jyork, I think it would make the most sense for your client to export a PDF of each finalized report with full-page receipt images, once everything is processed.

SmartScan will look at the amount and the date to determine what to merge with. You shouldn't need to manually merge many, but yes if you do need to do it manually you can select the card expense and cash expense and merge them together.

I hope that answers your questions!