Category Issues from Expensify to Quickbooks

Options
mffood
mffood Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Why won't my Expensify reports break out by category when I import them into Quickbooks? They just list out as an expense and don't even include the vendor. Please help, we're trying to finish taxes and about to ditch QB and Expensify b/c nothing seems to work correctly and we're running out of time. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answers

• Karisa Latta
    Karisa Latta Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 147 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey @mffood !

I'm sorry for the trouble here. This might have to do with the configured posting style.

For Reimbursable expenses:

• posting as Journal Entry will create a single itemized journal entry for each Expensify report. You don't see the itemized lines until you open the entry itself. This posting style will use the merchant name.
    • posting as Check will create a single itemized check for each Expensify report. You don't see the itemized lines until you open the check item itself. This posting style will use the merchant name.
    • posting as Vendor Bill will create a single itemized vendor bill for each Expensify report. You don't see the itemized lines until you open the bill itself. This posting style will use the employee name.

For Non-Reimbursable expenses:

• posting as Credit Card will post individual credit card transactions to one general credit card account. This posting style will use the merchant name or Credit Card Misc. as the payee.
    • posting as Debit Card will post individual debit card transactions to one general debit card account. This posting style will use the merchant name as the payee.
    • posting as Vendor Bill will create a single itemized vendor bill for each Expensify report. You don't see the itemized lines until you open the bill itself. This posting style will use the employee name.

In the Report History & Comments section of the report, there will be a link that says "View Non-Reimbursable Expenses" or "View Reimbursable Expenses." Clicking that link should take you directly to where these expenses have been exported into QuickBooks.

You can see examples of what the different posting styles actually look like in QuickBooks on this help doc. Here are the two images most related to your setup:

Reimbursable expenses as Journal Entries:

Non-Reimbursable expenses as Credit Card transactions:

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have more questions.