How to handle canceled flights / hotels etc?

Options
Braam
Braam Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

We frequently encounter the following situation. We buy a flight, plans change somewhat, and then we cancel the flight and buy another flight. It leads to multiple credit card transactions, e.g., a refund and a charge for a cancellation fee.

How do we edit or add expenses to keep track of this conveniently? In particular, we would like the multiple transactions on the credit card to reconcile against Expensify.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts or knowledge!

Peter

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @Braam, thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! Before I go down a rabbit hole of possibilities, I was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me?

1. Are the cards that are used to purchase the flights and that incur the cancellation fees connected to Expensify?
    2. Do the refunds and fees get imported into Expensify?
    3. If the cards are not connected and importing these expenses, are employees responsible for manually creating them? If they aren't, why not?

Since you mentioned that you want the charges in Expensify to reconcile against the credit card, the easiest way to do that is to import the credit card into Expensify. This can be done on an individual level if your employees use personal cards, but if they use company cards you have a lot more power to control, view, submit, and reconcile those expenses.

If you can answer the three questions above for me I'd really appreciate it!

• Braam
    Braam Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

Hi Sheena -

The cards are connected to expensify. We started to think that making sure cancellation fees and refunds are imported into expensify.

I think you suggestion is right: don't lose the transactions, record them in Expensify.

Thanks!

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

You're very welcome @Braam, I'm here to help. If you run into more questions, feel free to search the Community or create a new post! Have a great weekend.