Xero Policy Overview
What is a policy?
A policy is where you will connect Expensify to Xero set company rules, manage coding brought in from Xero, and invite your employees. In the policy you will also be able to customize your company's approval workflow.
You can set up multiple policies at no additional cost if you need to segregate users for reasons such as different home currencies, or if you have a group of employees that have varying coding requirements versus another group of users. Think of a policy as a way to group employees.
This tab allows you to name your policy (typically this is the name of the company or a department) and shows you who is the billing owner on your company account.
By enabling violations in the expenses tab, you can set the following rules for employees that are submitting reports. Keep in mind that if an employee violates these rules we will notify them when the employee attempts to submit a report and we will flag the expenses for required auditing during the approval process.
Max Expense Age — how old an expense can be on a report
Max Expense Amount — how large a single expense can be
Receipt Required Amount — the minimum threshold for requiring receipt images
In the reports tab, you can set the home currency of employees tied to the policy
Scheduled Submit will auto-create reports for employees and submit the report if it's fully compliant with the rules you have set in the policy. at a frequency of your choice. If set to "manually" we will only automatically create a report for employees when new expenses come in (both cash and company card) but the user will be responsible for submitting the report manually.
Connect Expensify and Xero
- Navigate to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Xero
- Select the Connect to Xero button and click Create a new Xero connection
- Enter your Xero login information and choose the Xero organization you want to connect to Expensify (you can connect one organization per policy.)
After your team has connected to Xero, you should see the Xero Configuration screen. Check out a short video on this here!
Want to see how these reports look in Xero? Check out the exporting documentation on Xero here!
- Xero expense accounts and accounts marked with "Show In Expense Claims" will be automatically imported into Expensify as Categories.
- After connecting, go to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Categories to see the accounts imported from Xero
- Use the enable/disable check-box to choose which Categories to make available to your employees.
- Click the blue settings cog to set Category-specific Rules such as maximum amount, receipts required, comments and comment hints.
Use the People tab to invite new employees to join your company policy. Check out our Approval Workflow options after you have invited your team:
Go to Domain Control > Company Cards > Import Card/Bank to add company cards. Once your cards are added, assign them to employees and set the transaction start date! Check out a short video on this here!
Add A Billing Card
At the completion of your trial, the policy owner will need to add a billing card for your company to continue using Expensify. Navigate to Settings > Account > Payments to add this information!
Group Policy Payment
You can also always tell whether your Group policy is configured for Collect or Control based on the Mailbox icon (Collect) or the Shield icon (Control).
- A Collect policy is ideal for small groups who only need basic features such as expense approvals, reimbursement, and integration options. Collect policies are $5/active user on the Annual Subscription, or $10/active user on the "pay as you go", Pay-per-use option. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
- A Control policy is the most popular option. For a much deeper level of control and policy configurations, a Control policy offers multi-stage approval workflows, corporate card management, integrations, and more. Control policies are $9/active user on the Annual Subscription, or $18/active user on the "pay as you go", Pay-per-use option. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
All subscriptions are managed from the Settings > Policies > Group page under the Subscriptions dropdown.
As questions come up, be sure to reach out to our Success Coach team. In order to do this please click on the message icon in the bottom right corner, and then click New Message: